According to the US Department of Energy, approximately 17 percent of an average family’s energy budget goes towards keeping water heated and ready for use. That includes heating water when you are sleeping, on vacation and away at work or school. A tankless water heater eliminates that wasted energy and only heats water when you need it. However, energy savings are just one of the many benefits to switching to a tankless system.
Benefits of a tankless water heating system
- Energy savings. As we mentioned above, a tankless system saves energy by not having to work continuously at heating water. The US Department of Energy estimates you can save up to 50 percent of the energy you use to heat water by switching to a tankless system.
- Financial savings. When you save energy, you will also save money. Saving up to 50 percent of the energy you typically use to heat water will translate into significant savings on your natural gas or electric bill.
- Space savings. Tankless water heating systems are also less bulky than a traditional water tank. They are about the size of an average suitcase and hang on the wall, freeing up floor space. They can also be located anywhere in your home since they do not carry a risk of leaking as you have with a water tank system.
- Unlimited hot water. Have you ever enjoyed an extra-long shower when you were on vacation? With a tankless system, you will never run out of hot water. That also means that multiple people can take a shower without having to wait for the tank to reheat.
- Longer lifespan. While a tankless system is initially more expensive, this type of water heating system will last considerably longer than a traditional water tank. You can expect a tankless system to last approximately 20 years with proper maintenance. That compares to around 10-15 years for a water tank system.
- Low maintenance. While a traditional water tank should be drained and cleaned periodically, a tankless system requires very little maintenance to keep it running smoothly.
To learn more about switching to a tankless water heater for your Springfield, Illinois home, contact Eddington Plumbing at (217) 529-1000. We have years of experience helping central Illinois home and business owners with their plumbing needs.